26 – 30 September 2022
The course will run online over 5 sessions from 9am to 12pm each day. Each session need to be attended to complete the course.
There will be plenty of opportunity to discuss operational issues with the presenter and other delegates.
£675 per delegate. Discounts are available for group bookings and returning delegates.
Registration and payment is available via the on-line shop.
The drawing up of specifications and correct design of hoppers, silos, bunkers and other large scale bulk storage schemes is of fundamental importance for the optimal operation of plant. Many processes fail to reach their designed throughput or suffer from ‘unforeseen’ handling problems. The root cause of a very large proportion of these issues can be traced back to a failure to understand the storage and handling requirements of the bulk materials and hence installations that do not incorporate bulk characteristics into the design process may encounter these issues.
This course has been developed with specification writers and equipment designers/suppliers in mind. Practical and ‘hands-on’ exercises will feature in the course structure.
- Minimising project risk through characterisation of bulk materials;
- How to characterise bulk materials using firmly established methods and the latest test equipment;
- How to use shear cell measurements to design for reliable discharge;
- Detail design for storage equipment;
- Best Practice for bulk handling plant design and operation;
- When should discharge aids be applied and appropriate types;
- Methods for correct interfacing.
Is this for me?
This course is intended to target project engineers involved in the detail specification of bulk handling schemes or design engineers involved in the construction of equipment used for storing bulk materials. The content of the course will also be of relevance to engineers that wish to be brought up to speed with equipment and operational best practice relating to bulk handling.
If you are new to the subject we would recommend attendance at our standard storage and discharge of powders and bulk materials course first, which gives an overview of the subject and sets out the basics upon which this course builds.
The course will be delivered by MS Teams
The course leader is Richard Farnish, Consultant Engineer, who has over twenty years’ experience in commercial design work related to materials handling, specialising in metering powders.
Also contributing will be Mike Bradley, Professor of Bulk and Particulate Technologies and Director of The Wolfson Centre, who has worked internationally on design and troubleshooting for bulk solids handling as a commercial consultant and research expert for over thirty years and Dr Baldeep Kaur, a Researcher expert in the characterisation and transportation of materials in the bulk solids handling industry.
Please note that The Wolfson Centre reserves the right to substitute leaders of equal quality should this be dictated by circumstances beyond their control.
This course can be delivered as an In-Company course on line at a time to suit operational requirements.
These are proving to be a popular option for companies who have a number of personnel who would benefit from education in the subject area, for 3 main reasons:
- Cost: It is more economic for us to bring the course to you, than for you to send several staff out to us;
- Relevance: We can tailor the course programme to suit the operations you have in your plant, hence reducing the amount of material which is not directly relevant;
- Convenience: We can run the course when it suits you, even over several separate days rather than in a block if it is better for you.
26 Sep 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
University of Greenwich